Must say the cold is really getting to me this winter. My days are really busy with the kids & juggling work & the nights are so cold I'm reluctant to do anything but go to bed early. Very unlike me. So blogging is slowwwwww. I've also been shifting about computers & struggling managing my enormous photo library so I never seem to have the photos I want when I'm in the mood to blog on my laptop tucked up in bed. That is all changing however & my newest online storage provider is helping me sort all of that out. Hope to share how that is working for me at some stage.
Anyway, I have been wanting to share some of the things I have been doing on a budget around my office & my painting studio. I thought I would start with my little cork board wall above my computer in my office/sewing room.
Pin up boards can be pretty expensive from what I have seen & aren't particularly attractive either. My moving/setting up budget is pretty small but I found these brown plastic framed cork boards at Officeworks for $15 and purchased 4 of them. It was a bit more than I wanted to spend but it was also the cheapest that I found. I decided they needed a bit of prettying up so I roughly measured some fabric from my vintage sheet collection and just added extremely strong double sided tape to the edges. I peeled back the tape backing and pressed the fabric down firmly on all sides, stretching it on each side as I went.
I've seen fabric covered canvases etc where the fabric has been wrapped around the edges and either stitched or staple gunned at the back but I I tore the edges of my fabric & I kinda like the little bit messy frayed edges that I can see from the front so my method suited me. But if you hospital corners all squared away, it would be just as easy to tuck overhanging fabric & staple gun them.
I chose 4 different fabrics for my boards & then once covered, just nailed my boards straight onto the wall. Yep, thats right, nail striaght through the front of the cork board, straight through the gyprock. I figure if/when we move out, there would have been holes anyway so why not secure it easily now rather than fuss around with hooks & framing wires at the back of it. When I pin things to it, I want it absolutely secure. And it is. 3 nails in each board & you can hardly tell they are there.
So now I have a fabulous visual guide right above my computer with blogging topics listed, scheduled plans [like those I did for school holidays recently] and other bits & pieces I need staring me in the face.
So there you go. Easy peasy!