I recently had the opportunity to attend a ProBlogger Blogging conference up in QLD. It was the one little trip away that I allowed myself this year because it was directly related to my personal business. I can't tell you how inspirational & valuable to me, the whole weekend turned out to be.
- Darren Rowse [ProBlogger & Digital Photography School] and his team organising an amazing event - everything was spectacular & inspiring! And the party - I've never been to anything quite like it!
- Trey Ratcliff [Stuck In Customs] & his inspiring talks. He's a guy living the life he dared to dream. Hearing how he made a decision to live in the moment, follow his heart, dare to be different, live his best life & let the hate rocks just fall behind him, 'fighting haters back with awesome!' So good. Speaking to him personally & wearing his Google Glass was also a pretty cool moment too!!
- Meeting & chatting to Mrs Woog [Woogsworld] - I will never forget her kindness & encouragement. She saw straight through me & recognised the lack of confidence I had in myself. She gave me such a pep talk I will never forget. xo
- Having Sam [actor & Love Your Sister project] arrive on a unicycle & share with us the amazing fundraising he is doing for his sister & breast cancer research. Please go & have a look & donate if you can.
- Meeting Andrea [Fox in Flats]. So lovely & gracious & ever so generous chatting to me & my sister about blogging confidence.
- Meeting & chatting to lovely travel bloggers - Caz Makepeace [Y Travel Blog] & Rachael [All Abroad Baby] - who I will be sure to connect again with after I have some 'travel with little ones' experience to share & no doubt use as a resource along the way!
- Staying at the QT Gold Coast - OMG - so good! Everything, everything! Fresh old fashioned lemonade stand, great huge comfy beds, glorious food, inspirational decor. Everything!
- Attending presentations by Tsh Oxenreider [Simple Mom] and approaching her [brave] to get her to sign her book [Organized Simplicity] for me.
- Using frequent flyer points to fly business class!!! So great when its almost as cheap to get a direct business class flight from Adelaide, rather than having to go economy & do stopovers at either Sydney or Melbourne. FANCY PLUS! And how do I get so many frequent flyer points you ask? Feed a family of 7 for a year from Coles using both Flybuys card & paying with American Express, gets you a bucket load of points per year! Yeeha!
I am still totally kicking myself however that I didn't summon the courage to introduce myself to Claire Bowditch [Big Hearted Business] or Pip [Meet me at Mikes]. I desperately wanted to all weekend but it never seemed the right time & I'm not one to force myself onto people. They were often spotted together with a few other 'creatives.' I kept thinking those are MY peeps. Creative peeps, with passions & dreams & vulnerability. I should be over there getting to know them & chatting & feeling at home with my creative arty peeps. Alas, I was too shy. And there's nothing worse than the possibility of putting yourself out there only to be squeezed out by bigger personalities. Awkward! Thats the fear. The flipside to being shy & polite is missing out! Awkward or Missing out. Thats the choice. Grrr. Next time.
I am still trawling through all my scribbled notes from the weekend. So much goodness! Ideas are buzzing. But more than just blogging, I got huge lightning bolt messages & themes from the conference that are so relevant to me, my self esteem, my dreams & how I should dare to live the life I imagine & dream about. Inspiring plus! As were the desserts! Oops!
The conference also prompted me to think about my blog. I am wondering, rather than just continuing to offer a glimpse into my life as an artist along with family recording, whether it could become useful/more useful to an audience? I certainly have great things I'm thinking about for my blog to evolve into, but there could be more I look at doing for you! I could add lots more great content on art process & maybe teach you how I do things. Not been formally trained in art and teaching myself everything I have learned, gives me an advantage of learning it all by trial and error. I've shared lots of my artwork & a little of the process but there's so much more I could share!
And of course there's my little classroom that I want to launch properly at some stage too. I don't intend to be a Martha Stewart type DIY craft blogger, but I could do artsy painting & collage teaching in the way I know how - and only I know that because I taught myself! I could share more of that. Is that something you would like?
I'm also excited about experimenting with film making of me working away. Probably next year.
So I've had a weeny blog break for the last couple of weeks. Whenever I don't blog for a week or two I really miss it but I'm certainly not lacking in enthusiasm for it or for ideas. In fact my head is exploding! But right now my issue is time. Sound familiar? I have only just over a year until Buddy starts kindy and I want to soak this precious year up as much as I can. This past year has been about investing in myself to explore all sorts of arty things & commercial opportunities for my art, while I have been at home with Buddy. Slowly I'll implement new things bit by bit as I can manage. In the future once he's at school, pursuing my art & sharing what I know is what I intend to do full time.
Yes, its becoming very clear where I see myself fit in blogging. What I can offer. What I want to do. Its exciting. As always I will still record little adventures of my best ever creations [my 5 small humans] along the way as they reach milestones & discover new things. And soon we have an exciting holiday to blog through too! I will be scribbling & instagramming my way through somewhere exciting!
Its also becoming more clear to me that I am more interested in trying to juggle the struggle of 'living to 100' myself in my own time, rather than blogging about it. But I did commit to 52 weeks and 52 weeks I will do. But its just taking me longer than I anticipated. And when I finish, its been my long term plan to make an eBook filled with all my healthy & happy habits, illustrating it myself of course!! So it will happen. Someday.
Since returning from the conference, we've been dealing with a bunch of sick kiddies, I've met up with 2 of my lovely special friends, I've been recovering from a surgery, we've put our family car into the crash repair to fix up my 2 bungles [oops!] and we are now officially on school holidays for the next 2 weeks! So I am very much look forward to recovering gently, spending time with the kids, having no transport apart from legs [!] and getting ready for another new eCourse!
So what have you been up to?